Tuesday 5 January 2016

Lip scrub DIY and review

Don't you just hate January weather? Rain, getting up in the morning and get this: it's still dark, Rain, having tea and guess what: it's dark again, Rain, not wanting to go running because: it's dark.... Winter is not in my good books (unless there is snow or you are inside by the fire with movies).

Another thing that I am having trouble with at the moment is dry lips. Anyone else get this?
It is insanely annoying, not to mention painful and looks hideous! To help fight against the evils of dry lips, I use a ton of lip cream and such but this only really helps prevent more happening. What has already invaded my personal space is harder to get rid of. To get rid of flaky bits I use a lip scrub and THEN apply a layer of gloss or protective cream. I don't recommend using a scrub regularly in case of damaging your mouth with constant rubbing but when in need this is a good way of stopping
flaky-ness and making perfectly smooth lips. Wait does smooth lips sound weird?


I never used to use lip scrub until I was given one. It was a LUSH bubble gum lip scrub and I tried it, not because I needed to but because it smelled SO nice!! I didn't use it again though, it basically just sat on my shelf for a while until I actually needed it! Now I use it and it is amazing! I will recommend to anyone in need of a lip scrub and don't trust my advice below on making your own!
 
All opinions and pictures are my own.
 


You can just make a cheap one for yourself using ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cupboard + it is so easy + works just as well as a shop bought one!

You will need:

Sugar
Olive Oil
Honey

How to make:

1. Put a tablespoon of sugar in a bowl. This is the grainy bit that will scrub your lips.
2. Cover with Olive Oil, this is to moisturise your lips and stop them from drying out, so don't add to much, just enough to cover the sugar. The mixture should not be too liquidy.
3. Now add a dribble of honey  to stick the mixture together.
4. If you want now  is the time to add flavouring. Peppermint extract, lemon, vanilla extract are all cool ideas but my favourite one by far is adding a small bit of coco powder. This will smell gorgeous!

Change the quantity's of ingredients you use by how much you want to make. I think doing it by eye is sometimes the best. It will keep in a cold place for a fairly long time, so you could make one big batch to last until spring comes once again and thaws our flaking lips.... drama queen!

Pouring into small containers and giving away as presents is a cute idea and people will certainly be grateful at this time of year! Tie a little ribbon round the top or create a personalised sticky label!
 
Now hopefully we can fight a bit better against the evil of dry lips (forever the drama queen!)!
Millie X

3 comments:

  1. Will try this later today x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worked on my second attempt, added too much oil to start with! Stuck with the honey so far as I like the taste. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad it worked out for you. I am not sure if you are supposed to intentionally eat it, but since it is all edible ingredients I don't see why not!! X

      Delete